Monday, October 18, 2004

Asian Bazaar Weekend

This weekend was the semi-annual Yokota Officers Spouses Club's Asian Bazaar, where vendors from all over Japan set up shop in a hanger here at Yokota, and spend two days trying to sell us stuff. It is a great place to get furniture, dishes, and other Japanese and Asian items. It can get kind of hectic, but this year the turn out seemed kind of low, even though the weather was pretty nice all weekend.

I worked the Finatics' food booth outside of the bazaar on Saturday from about 0800 to 1200, and my wife worked the two Girl Scouts booths from 1200 to 1800. The Finatics sold breakfast burritos, soft tacos, quesadillas, coffee and soft drinks, and I think we did pretty well, at least on Saturday. I went by on Sunday to do some shopping, and it didn't look like they were getting much business, but the bazaar itself was pretty empty.

At the bazaar, I bought a bunch of stuff I don't need, some of which are going to be Christmas presents, including: silk robes, sake bottles and sets, earrings, pearl necklaces, jade chopstick sets, chopstick rests, napkin rings, shi-shi dogs, and I am sure some other things I can't think of right now.

Elizabeth, my 3 year old daughter, had another modeling job in Tokyo on Sunday. She modeled pajamas and jogging outfits, and was done quickly. It only paid 18000 yen (about $170), which is less than the normal 25000 yen ($230), but is was fast, and she and Renee were home before 2:00.

The Finatics are having a dive trip over the Veteran's Day weekend to Saipan, and we put down our 15000 yen deposit on Friday so Renee can go. She and Jane-Ann will be going to the States for Thanksgiving, and they will be going to China with my brother and his wife and son sometime in December. Just paying my dues, though, so I can go diving in the Spring (again with the club), and I will be going to China, when I get the chance. Renee and I have decided that it will be easier to do major trips separately, so we don't have to take the youngest kids. I would love to take them, but they won't remember these trips anyway, and they make it nearly impossible to really enjoy a place.

No comments: