Thursday, October 14, 2004

First Post

This is my first blog post, so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Justin Lancaster, and I am a 33 year old Environmental Engineer currently living just outside of Tokyo, Japan, with my wife Renee, my step daughter Jane-Ann(12) , my daughter Elizabeth(3), and my son Holt(2).

I am originally from the North Coast of California, from a very small town in the mountains above Eureka, California. Beautiful place, if you get the chance, I would highly recommend a visit, but go in summer, and still bring a coat and umbrella. I went to college at Humboldt State University in Arcata (just a few miles north of Eureka), and graduated in 1995. Upon graduation, I got my first job working as an Environmental Engineer for the Air Force at March Air Force Base, in Riverside County, California. After 5 years there, I got a job with the Navy in San Diego, traveling to Navy bases throughout the Southwest doing environmental audits and the like.

After three years of that, I got the opportunity to come to Japan for three years (with return rights to my job in San Diego), so I jumped at it. I am currently the Chief of the Environmental Branch at United States Forces, Japan. I have been here for just a few days short of one year, and have loved almost every minute of it.

A few of the things we have been able to do while we have been here are:
  • View the Emperor and his family on his birthday
  • Drive to the Fifth Station of Mt Fuji and play in the snow
  • SCUBA dive on the Izu Peninsula
  • Spend a weekend in Kyoto (the old Capitol of Japan)
  • Witness a firewalking ceremony at a shrine in Takao
  • Walk through the streets of Ginza
  • Visit what must be the worst, most crowded, Disney Park in the World
  • Walk on the Sand at Iwo Jima, and stood atop Mt Cirabachi (incredible)

Some things I would still like to do while I am here are:

  • See the Monkeys that bath in the hot springs
  • Climb Mt Fuji
  • Visit the Great Wall of China
  • Visit Hiroshima
  • Dive Truk Lagoon

I guess that that is enough for my first post. Thanks...


No comments: